Yesterday afternoon I found myself looking for an RSS reader app through the App Store, and suddenly it hit me, PowerApps has an RSS connector so… let’s build one in 7 minutes!
My requirements were straightforward, being able to go through my RSS feeds and also have the possibility of adding new ones and delete old ones.
So what I need is:
- Navigate through the feeds.
- CRUD Feeds
And this is how I did it:
- Data always begin with data.
- I created an entity called RSS Feed with only two fields, Name and Feed URL.
- Added some data, of course.
- Templates are great, and since I created some data, I decided to use the Create from data option.
- The template provides already all the CRUD functionality that I need.
- Then I added the RSS Connector
- Edited the Details Screen by removing unnecessary fields.
- Added a Gallery control to display the Title and the Summary of the news.
- And that’s it 6:47 in total, HOW AWESOME WAS THAT!
You can find the packaged app in the link below:
After using the app for a couple of hours, it strikes me that it’s funny how we spend our days building PowerApps for business purpose but not for everyday standard requirements that we might have, although this may change with the new licensing model coming up.
When was the last time that you used a PowerApp for something in your personal life? Let me know in the comments below!